Sunday, January 25, 2009

On Being American, Part 1

Last Tuesday, millions of Americans came together to bear witness to one of the most profound moments in our nation's history. I was lucky enough to be a part of this crowd, which was made up of people from every state, background, race and even every political stripe. I haven't yet had time to write about the experience, but here are some photos to whet your appetite. There will be more to come.

My mom took this picture on the mall before the inauguration. It was 20 degrees with a windchill that made it feel like 10.

I took this picture as I ascended the escalator in the Federal Center SW metro station. It was 4:45 a.m. and the crowd was wall to wall. People were chanting and cheering, strangers made sure children stayed with their parents and the mood was jubilant. It was an exhilarating experience.

Here is the capital, dressed and decorated the day before the inauguration.

I watched the inauguration from the warmth of 101 Constitution Avenue. Here is the view from inside the building.

Barack Obama graced the cover of every newspaper and magazine in the city. This stack of newspapers sat at the entrance to Metro Center as a crowd gathered to take home a record of the historical day.

1 comment:

Carol said...

I didn't know you went - how exciting! I can't wait to see more of your pictures!!